Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information and offers.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card Overview
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card is a worthy card contender for frequent flyers of Delta. While its bonus categories of three miles per dollar are valid only for hotels and Delta purchases, this card offers a suite of perks that make it worth its $350 annual fee (see rates and fees). These benefits include free checked bags, priority boarding and an annual companion certificate. Card Rating*: ⭐⭐⭐½
*Card rating is based on the opinion of TPG’s editors and is not influenced by the card issuer.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card is the mid-tier Delta Business card.
It can help you earn elite status alongside perks that offer a better passenger experience for a $350 annual fee (see rates and fees). Amex recommends a credit score of 670 to successfully apply for this card.
But is it the right card for you? Let’s take an in-depth look at how its features stack up.
Delta Platinum Business Amex pros and cons
Delta Platinum Business Amex welcome offer
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card allows new cardmembers to earn 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $8,000 in purchases on your new card in your first six months of card membership. Offer ends March 27.
Delta Platinum Business Amex benefits
Even without free lounge access, the Delta Platinum Business Amex has many features that make it a worthwhile look for regular Delta business flyers:
- Award flight discount: Get 15% off award redemptions for Delta flights (when paying taxes and fees with this card).
- Companion certificate: Take someone along on your next round-trip on Delta using this certificate, good for a main cabin round-trip flight every year you renew the card. This certificate is valid for travel to all 50 U.S. states (including Hawaii and Alaska), Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.
- Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) headstart: 2,500 MQDs automatically deposited each calendar year
- MQD boost: Earn 1 MQD per $20 spent
- Complimentary upgrades: Complimentary seat upgrades on eligible flights after Medallion members for cardmembers who are not Medallion members
- Free checked bag: You and up to eight travelers on the same reservation will get their first checked bag free when flying Delta. At a regular price of $30 a bag in each direction, even if you’re traveling alone, that saves you a minimum of $60 on every round-trip where you would’ve checked a bag.
- Priority boarding: Enjoy Main Cabin 1 boarding on Delta flights for you and up to nine travelers on the same reservation.
- Inflight discount: Receive a 20% statement credit on purchases, including pre-purchased meals and inflight purchases of food, alcoholic beverages and audio headsets, when using the card. The one major inflight expense not included in this discount is Wi-Fi.
- Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit: You get a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit ($100 every 4 years for Global Entry, up to $85 every 4.5 years for TSA PreCheck).
- Resy credit: Up to $120 annual credit (up to $10 monthly) at Resy, the online restaurant reservation service. Enrollment required.
- Ride-hailing credit: Up to $120 ride-hailing credit (up to $10 monthly). Enrollment required.
- Delta Stays credit: Up to $200 annual credit at Delta Stays, Delta’s hotel travel portal
- Hertz Five Star status: Complimentary Hertz Five Star status, its mid-tier elite status. Enrollment required.
Reward your inbox with the TPG Daily newsletter
Join over 700,000 readers for breaking news, in-depth guides and exclusive deals from TPG’s experts
Earning miles on the Delta Platinum Business Amex
With the Delta Platinum Business card, you’ll earn 3 miles per dollar spent directly with hotels and on eligible Delta purchases, including reservations, Delta Vacation packages, seat upgrades and selection, Delta Sky Club membership or passes, pre-purchased and inflight meals, inflight alcoholic beverages and audio headsets (but not Wi-Fi).
In addition, you’ll also receive 1.5 miles per dollar for purchases on transit, eligible U.S. shipping and all purchases over $5,000 (up to $100,000 spent per year). This can be nice if your business frequently makes large purchases, but it’s still not the best return on these purchases.
You’ll also earn 1 mile per dollar on all other purchases.
Redeeming miles on the Delta Platinum Business Amex
Your best option is almost always to redeem SkyMiles for air travel. Not only can you use your miles on Delta, but they’re also good on Delta’s other SkyTeam airline partners, along with non-alliance carriers, including Virgin Atlantic and WestJet.
It does take extra work to find bargain redemptions on Delta since it doesn’t publish award charts (and regularly adjusts prices on many routes), but they’re out there. Check Delta’s SkyMiles Deals page for deep discounts on round-trip tickets in economy class and Delta One between specific city pairs.
Redemptions for seat upgrades are also an option, but there’s no award chart, so you won’t know how many miles it will cost until you book your ticket. (It’s typically not good value.)
You can also use your miles for upgrades on flights operated by partners Air France, KLM, Virgin Atlantic and Aeromexico, but know that you’re not getting the best value for them. Choose this option only if you really need an upgrade for a longer flight — such as Atlanta (ATL) to Johannesburg (JNB) via Europe on Air France or KLM — and want to save your cash.
You can also transfer or gift your miles or donate them to charity. But again, redeeming your miles on Delta and partner flights will typically offer you the best value.
Which cards compete with the Delta Platinum Business Amex?
Some other cards may be a better fit if you’re looking for a low annual fee or airport lounge access.
Read more: The best business credit cards
Is the Delta Platinum Business Amex worth it?
This card is great if you want Delta perks, like an annual companion certificate and a free checked bag. It’s also good for earning bonus miles on Delta flights and business-related purchases. However, the annual fee may be hard to justify if you don’t fly Delta often enough to maximize the value of this card’s benefits.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card is a solid choice if you’re loyal to the SkyTeam carrier and like having perks exclusive to the airline. Its annual fee can be worth it if you take advantage of earning bonus MQDs that help you toward elite Medallion status and can also utilize the annual companion certificate.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card, click here.